Derek Fleming and Douglas MacIntyre have been friends since attending Strathaven Academy in the late 1970s. Bonding over music, they spent every day after school at Derek’s parents’ house in Kirk Street learning chords from a David Bowie songbook. Inspired by the DIY ethos of punk, they started writing their own songs and formed a group, The Frets, making their live debut at the Ballgreen Hall playing a short set of self-penned songs. They have both gone on to have successful careers working professionally in the music industry (alongside music teaching / education) for over 25 years.
- Derek has been providing expert guitar tuition in Strathaven for over 25 years, creating lesson programmes suitable for all abilities – from starters learning the fundamentals of playing guitar through to experienced musicians. Derek has also worked in Nashville with Kent Wells Productions (Kent has produced Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Reba McEntire), and also produces tracks for various Scottish upcoming artists.
- Performed at the Sandfest charity concerts to raise money for Down’s Syndrome Scotland for the past 10 years, culminating in performing at a sold out Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in 2018
- Performances at Glasgow’s Celtic Connections with Magic Circles, Hapton Crags, and Marina Records’ Goosebumps show.
- Production and writing duties for Kodak Ghosts, who have recently signed to a London based management company.
- Organiser of Sandfest charity concerts which have included several performances by groups and vocalists like Justin Currie (Del Amitri), Clare Grogan (Altered Images), Grahame Skinner (Hipsway), James Grant (Love & Money), The Bluebells, and the Sandford City Rockers (who include members of Aztec Camera, Bourgie Bourgie, The Bluebells, etc).
- Recording artist signed to several major and independent record companies over the past 30 years
- Session musician in both a recording and international touring capacity with many artists including; Lloyd Cole, The Bathers, Love & Money, The Nectarine No9, The Secret Goldfish, Vic Godard & the Subway Sect, Future Pilot AKA, The Bluebells
- CEO of music rights company The Creeping Bent Organisation, which was established in 1994 and has released over 100 products. Over 30 radio sessions recorded with BBC Radio 1 (John Peel), BBC 6Music (Marc Riley), and BBC Radio Scotland (Vic Galloway)
- Senior Lecturer in Creative Industries (University of West of Scotland, Stow College, Kelvin College)
- Assistant Principal (Riverside Music College)
- Selected BBC television performances:
Lloyd Cole – Later with Jools Holland https://youtu.be/Pl6a8MgXSkI
The Bluebells – Still Game https://youtu.be/SxHy1XpF9q8
Love & Money – In Concert https://youtu.be/JZR_HEnO_IQ
Let’s build something together.
Unless credited all images on this website are by Les Hoggan http://www.leshogganphotography.com
Tel: 07968 836103